It is one of the best and most time consuming decisions I ever made for my modding – buy a 3D printer. After brutal failures and fun learnings I could start to design and put out prototypes. I knew from start of this mod I wanted to do something special with the GPU. After all, it is the main inspiration for this entire mod.
I went through endless of concepts and iterations in Fusion 360 and spent more time infront of a computer than inside one, but patience payed of.
The printer, after my mods, turned out to be very good and I put it to a test – a lot!
Lets just say that I went through some iterations and prototypes trying to find something that both looked good, but not to much, to keep the balance between good design and keep the components in focus. Don’t mind the poor quality of the prints. They are printed with a prototype profile to keep print times as high as possible. Finished prints will take 20x times as long to print and should look sharp and nice when done.
This is my idea for the top, front part. Plan to devide the cover for my 1080Ti in two halves, so I can hide the screws from behind and squeeze the front and back piece ontop of the GPU. Should look clean, be sturdy enough and prevent scratches or invasive alterations to the GPU.
It is a little heavy and to much Batman over this design. I redesigned all the individual components and it should look smoother and more in balance now.
I love these pump tops from EKWB. I also feel that the round shape will be needed and make a nice contrast to all the polygon edges in this build. That doesn’t mean we should leave them unmodded 😉
After some Fusion 360 iterations and some print iterations this turned out pretty neat. I need to fasten two pumps to the base before anything else, as they will also fasten the bottom floor of the custom angled PSU cover / dual floor. I’m also trying to avoid screws, as it will be very tight to have to add afterwards. A slide in clip was designed to the two pieces to snap them into one when fastened.
Think this will look very good and make the pump tops stand out even more. I’m currently playing with the idea of hiding a RGB led strip inside the base of this cover pointing upwards, not sure if that will look good.
Speaking of RGB leds. I got 15m of adressable LED strips in various density and countless of connectors and wires. Next step will be to start experimenting with the lightning of the build and components as well as starting on the interior. Stay tuned for more and please let me know what you feel about this update and mod in the comments below.