It will be an immense amount of work to finish the custom PSU shroud with its 118 individual angled acrylic pieces. That is also part of the charm of this build. The level of details needed. Only way to reach the end is to start.
With the use of Acrifix 116 I fixed 2 triangles on the pump base plate. Each edge needs it’s own individual angle to ensure the right shape of the shroud.
Ensuring as versatile visuals as possible I try to alterate the size of each triangle as well. This one has a base of 45mm.
Here is a shot of the angled edge of the third triangle. After sawing each triangle into it’s designated shape, I grind each edge straight and proper angled to build the shape. Fixating it with Acrifix 116, wait until it sets (about 5-10min) and start on next.
8 triangles and a few hours later and the base shape starts to reveal itself. As I’m going to paint it black, I don’t care about getting Acrifix 116 on the pieces. On the contrary I keep adding Acrifix on the backside of each joint to strengthen the bond.
I cut a plate to sit below the radiator and took a measurement where to mount it on the base pump plate. 30mm to the edge.
Lot’s of hours spent already and only 19 triangles created. Very time consuming, but rewarding mod creating this PSU shroud.
Started fixating triangles on my way to the front of the case. Need to ensure that the height of the front triangles stay below the lower edge of the Plexi top of the pumps.
Want to create a front base plate to display the amazing sponsors of the build.
9 additional triangles and a romb later and the front logo plate is joined with the base plate for the pumps. Will need to wait longer for this to set before I move it.
Love the contrast look of the hard edges of the triangles with the smooth roundness of the beautiful EK Water Block D5 Plexi top. Very close, but managed to avoid building to high in the front. 5mm to spare to the bottom of the plexi top.
Somehow this makes me feel about the catamaran. Love how the different angles play with the light. This will look dope in black once finished. Doesn’t look like much left, but will take atleast 10-15 more triangles to close the holes and finish part one of the shroud. Plan to build it in two pieces for easier mounting and cable management. Will need to figure out some sort of quick snap lock for that, but not until both parts of the floor is ready. That is MANY hours still 🙂
Starting to look really good imho, but would love to hear what you feel about it. Please drop a comment below and I will reply as soon as I can.