The whole concept when I started thinking about my custom PSU cover or secondary floor, were to mount the top of the pump above the floor and hide the pump under. Adding to that effect I wanted the reservoir next to it.
When I did my initial drawing I didn’t have the pump measurements, but was very exciting to realise it was wider than I thought and had the same dimensions as the reservoir. It was time to cut the top floor and put my custom EKWB D5 pump and Aqualis XT 880 ml bracket to good use.
My original sketch that I used for planning and discussing the pros and cons of my mounting. It’s not an optimal pump / reservoir placement, but it will work and it will stay true to my mod and my design theme.
Started to take measurements of the height of the bracket. Had an idea of securing the bracket with the rubber grommets included with the case, but those extra 2mm was enough to push the bracket into the floor. Might need to cut of part of the EKWB pump bracket in final fitting.
Measuring center and left most placement I can go without pushing the Aqualis XT 880 ml reservoir into the case front fans. This looks just right. Placement of the custom EKWB D5 and Aqualis bracket pretty much sorted it self, due to the case holes below, but I had some room to push the top floor 8mm.
A previous trip to the hardware store had secured a new drill measuring 80mm, same as both the pump and the Aqualis XT 880 reservoir. Well, 78mm for the pump to be precise, but a little room is needed. I sacrificed a piece of 5mm acrylic to do a test drill to ensure it would work and with a few stops to clean the drill and let the acrylic cool was all it took. Fastened the custom floor, now ready, and went to work to cut my two holes.
So happy with the result. Looks just as I had envisioned it almost 2 months ago when I started planning this build in my head. The fit was perfect and my previously crafted bracket even more perfect. Just one more thing to ensure, would the Aqualis XT 880 reservoir fit?.
Like a glove 🙂 My top floor piece or PSU cover as I originally called it, was finally done. Still some work to do to glue the floor to the previously crafted custom PSU Cover front side that will eventually cover my Corsair RM1000i PSU and EKWB D5 plexi pump.
The height of the top floor combined with the bracket is just perfect. Happy when measurements are correct and you get to see the result of an idea. I’m extremely happy at this point. Only one thing left to do and that is to combine this top part with the side part and then final finish.
At this point I haven’t been able to secure real acrylic cement in Sweden. Superglue had to due and not worried as the piece isn’t going to be transparent, but it’s on my shopping list.
Glued and done! Now the shape of my floor is more visible. Made sure from start it would be as tight fit as possible. Also added two channels for cables and ventilation matching the case bottom motherboard bracket.
Made a cardboard / paper motherboard just to secure size, height and placement of the motherboard. Final finish and last mounting adjustments coming in next update…